Tuesday, February 24, 2009

David Gareja and Sighnaghi Trip

David Gareja Monastery complex is situated near to Rustavi- in the south-east part of Georgia, on the border between Georgia and Azerbaijan (part of the complex is situated on the Azerbaijani side). The rock-hewn Monastery arose in 6th century and was developed to 13th century. For me it was obligatory place to visit in Georgia, so when I only had a chance I went there. On Sunday 15 February I came to David Gareja with the company of EVS volunteers, tourists from Poland and other foreigners who are living in Tbilisi. I wasn’t disappointed. Rocky Monastery with many of cells with old frescoes, located on the half-desert is very impressive. Sighnaghi was the next point of our trip. It is a small town in Kakheti Region. Thanks to a beautiful location. The town overlooks the Alazani Valley and faces the Greater Caucasus Mountains. Thanks to beautiful location and historical building the town is, in my opinion one from the most beautiful in Georgia. Georgians regard Sighnaghi as a place of love

Ilona

No comments:

Post a Comment